The following statements apply to all publicly accessible sites administered by NSW Department of Primary Industries. These sites include:
- www.landlearnnsw.org.au (www.nswlandlearn.org.au)
NSW DPI Legal Branch
Locked Bag 21
Orange NSW 2800
Phone: 02 6391 3552
Fax: 02 6391 3563
Users of the Department of Primary Industries sites are entitled to expect that any information as a result of that use will be treated within the terms of the New South Wales Government's privacy responsibilities and obligations. The New South Wales Government's privacy practices are regulated by the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998. For more information contact the Office of the NSW Privacy Commissioner (www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/privacynsw)
What information do we collect?
When you look at the pages on the Department of Primary Industries sites, we automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it;
- your top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.);
- the address of your server;
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded;
- the previous site visited; and
- the type of browser and operating system you have used.
Cookies are not used from the Department of Primary Industries sites to collect information.
How do we use the information collected?
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports in order for the Department of Primary Industries to identify patterns of usage of the sites. This will assist us in improving the Department of Primary Industries sites and the services offered on them.
Department of Primary Industries will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
NSW Department of Primary Industries will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published Department of Primary Industries pages;
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the Department of Primary Industries sites;
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the Department of Primary Industries sites by other sites;
- attempts to intercept messages of other users of the Department of Primary Industries sites;
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed; and
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the use of the Department of Primary Industries sites by other users.
NSW Department of Primary Industries reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the Department of Primary Industries sites raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed. In the event of an investigation, the Department of Primary Industries will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
The Department of Primary Industries may initiate proceedings in relation to any loss or damage suffered as a result of unauthorised use of information or any of the above circumstances.
Disclosure may also occur where it is lawfully authorised or required under any act, other law or statutory agency or foreign body.
Is the information stored securely?
Yes. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held by Department of Primary Industries for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected it is deleted.
What will we do with information provided in Feedback?
NSW Department of Primary Industries may provide feedback facilities on their sites to allow users to provide input into the future development of the sites and to comment on the provision of service by the Department. The provision of personal details on feedback is optional.
Users may provide personal details for the purpose of receiving a reply to their feedback. This information will only be used for the purpose for which it was provided. We will not add your email address or name to any mailing list.
NSW Department of Primary Industries may publish aggregated information about feedback on the site, to the extent that it does not identify or cannot be used to identify individual users.
What about email?
Email addresses are recorded when an email message is sent to NSW Department of Primary Industries. These email addresses are stored electronically in accordance with standards and authorities under the New South Wales State Records Act 1998. An email address is only used for the purpose for which it is provided and is not added to any mailing list or disclosed to other organisations unless you request that this to be done.
Will this policy be updated over time?
Due to the developing nature of privacy principles for online communication, this policy may be modified or expanded in light of new developments or issues that may arise from time to time. The amended policy will be posted to this site and will operate from the time it is posted.
Warning - Liability from unauthorised use
The Department of Primary Industries may initiate proceedings in relation to any loss or damage suffered as a result of unauthorised use of information of equipment including any of the circumstances described in the section headed 'What exceptions are there to this rule?'