Current situation

We work with Local Land Services (LLS) and other agencies/organisations to support the NSW State Emergency Service (SES) by coordinating animal welfare relief services for livestock, wildlife and companion animals and assisting affected primary producers.

Click here to find your nearest flood recovery centre in NSW

Recreational fishing in flood affected areas

Recreational fishers are reminded to take extra care when fishing in areas which have been affected by recent flooding, with debris and water quality presenting ongoing risks.

  • Fishers should not consume shellfish such as oysters from affected areas or where water was murky or discoloured
    Finfish should be well cleaned (gills and gut removed), washed in clean water and thoroughly cooked.
  • Collection of pipis for human consumption is always prohibited in NSW and collection of cockles is also not recommended.
  • Oysters and mussels should always be kept cold and covered, and always cooked thoroughly.
  • Cooking or boiling will not destroy or remove toxins which might be present from poor quality waters and eating contaminated seafood can cause serious or life-threatening illness.
  • Waiting several days after water has cleared and the muddy look has gone will reduce the risk of viral or bacterial contamination.


After an emergency, primary producers and the community can implement a range of actions, and access services and assistance to aid recovery. The Rural Recovery Support Service is managed by the NSW Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development and funded by Resilience NSW, to provide assistance to rural landholders and primary producers who have been impacted by the recent floods.

Flood recovery support service and information

Primary producers should report flood-related damage including stock and fodder losses, damage to crops, pastures, fencing and other farm infrastructure through the Natural Disaster Damage Survey. This will ensure we understand the severity and regional distribution of the damage and can target resources and assistance in the appropriate areas.

Local government areas in NSW declared Natural Disasters are eligible for assistance under Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA). Additional assistance measures for primary producers are available for eligible areas. To apply for a concessional loan or freight subsidy, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593.

Information on local recovery activities or advice on pastures, livestock, cropping and environment recovery can be sought from your Local Land Services on 1300 795 299.

Key contacts

Reporting emergenciesTelephone
Life threatening emergencies, including floods000
NSW State Emergency Service (SES) For emergency help in floods and storms call 132 500
Additional informationTelephone
Local Land Services office (LLS) 1300 795 299
NSW Rural Assistance Authority1800 678 593
Current natural disaster declarations02 9212 9200