Natural Disaster Assistance Guide for Primary Industries

The impact of fires, floods and other natural disasters can affect primary producers beyond their own resilience levels, requiring assistance to recover personally and financially.

NSW Department of Primary Industries (NSW DPI) and Local Land Services (LLS) coordinate and provide recovery assistance and advice to landholders and primary producers including commercial fishers, aquaculturists, foresters and other industries impacted by a natural disaster event.

The DPI provides information, resources and support on Climate & Emergency response and recovery for NSW primary producers. Visit

English - Natural Disaster Assistance Guide PDF

Chinese - Natural Disaster Assistance Guide PDF


Chinese - Disaster Assistance Grants PDF


Reporting damage

NSW DPI asks any primary producer including commercial fishers and aquaculturists affected by the floods to fill out the natural disaster damage survey. DPI uses these surveys to determine the scale and severity of the impact and what assistance and resources are required, where. Surveys can be submitted any time and can be accessed on a phone or computer via this link

Ag industry representatives can fill this in on behalf of farmers with their consent. It is important to not use this form for any requests for assistance.

Emergency assistance



Disaster Welfare Assistance Line

P: 1800 018 444

Evacuation centres, disaster welfare points, register to find & reunite with family, other household assistance.

Assistance for people affected by disaster | Mental Health Commission of New South Wales (

Disaster Customer Care Service

P: 13 77 88

For information on all available disaster assistance, please contact the Disaster Customer Care Service at Service NSW on 13 77 88 or online via .

Also contact Service NSW for replacement of documents such as licences, permits and certificates.

Evacuation centres for animals and livestock

A full list of current Animal Evacuation Centres - where available - is located at .

Animal owners are reminded that care of your animals including adequate food and water supply, any toys and medication, as well as full time supervision remains your responsibility once you arrive at the animal evacuation centres.

Owners are also asked to bring appropriate identification for their animals.

Primary producer support




Local Land Services

Technical assistance for primary producers.

P: 1300 795 299

Rural Assistance Authority

NSW disaster assistance for primary producers

P: 1800 678 593


Rural Recovery Support Service - Flood

The Rural Recovery Support Service is a temporary service managed by the NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) and funded by Resilience NSW, to provide assistance to rural landholders and primary producers who have been impacted by the recent floods.

P: 0448 077 684


Financial assistance

Federal & State Government assistance




Recovery Connect and Disaster Assist

NRAA is helping Australia prepare and recover from disasters. The agency provides national leadership and strategic coordination in long-term disaster recovery, resilience and risk reduction. Search recovery connect and/or disaster assist to find out what support is available.

National Recovery and Resilience Agency (NRRA)

Commonwealth Government Disaster Recovery Allowance

Disaster Recovery Allowance is a short-term payment to help you if a declared disaster directly affects your income.

Services Australia

P: 180 22 66

Special Disaster Grants – Primary Producers

The Special Disaster Grant* of up to $75,000 for eligible primary producers is designed to help pay for immediate clean-up and repairs to infrastructure.

Commercial fishers, aquaculture producers, apiarists and other primary producers may be eligible.

*Grant available for eligible LGA’s after a Category D disaster

Rural Assistance Authority

P: 1800 678 593

Disaster Assistance (

Rural Landholders  Grant

Grants of up to $25,000 are available for landholders and oyster farmers in declared Local Government Areas (LGAs), who have holdings of at least 10ha of rural land or a Class A aquaculture permit authorising at least 1ha; and receive at least $20,000 in income from primary production per annum.

Rural Assistance Authority

P: 1800 678 593

Natural Disaster Relief Loans

Natural disaster assistance is available to help communities and individuals directly affected by flood, fire, storm damage or any other declared natural disaster. To support relief and recovery following a declared natural disaster a range of measures are made available by the NSW Government.

Rural Assistance Authority

P: 1800 678 593

Disaster Relief Loans (

Farm Household Support

A payment for farming families facing hardship.

Eligible industries: Agricultural, horticultural, pastoral, apicultural or aquaculture industries.

Farmer Assistance Hotline

P: 132 316

Disaster Relief Grant: Always on assistance for eligible applicants in any emergency

The Disaster Relief Grant helps people to recover from the effects of a disaster and re-establish a basic standard of living. It is not provided to replace insurance or compensate for losses.

P: 13 77 88

Ask about the Disaster Relief Grant administered by Resilience NSW

Disaster Recovery Payment: $1,000 for adults and $400 for children

The Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off, non-means tested payment of $1,000 for adults and $400 for children, who have been seriously injured, lost their homes or whose homes have been directly damaged, or the immediate family members of a person who has lost their life, as a direct result of the storms and floods.

P: 180 22 66

Disaster Recovery Allowance: short-term income support for 13 weeks

The Disaster Recovery Allowance provides a short-term income support payment to assist individuals whose income has been affected as a direct result of the storms and floods, for up to 13 weeks.

This is an Australian Government disaster assistance payment.

P: 180 22 66

Financial support agencies




Rural Assistance Authority

NSW disaster assistance for primary producers including:

Special Disaster Grants

Disaster relief loans

Transport subsidies

P: 1800 678 593

Farm Household Contact Officer

Services Australia

Farmer Assistance Line

P: 132 316

Rural Financial Counselling

Rural Financial Counselling Services (RFCS) is a free and impartial financial counselling service to help with financial planning and applying for assistance.

Note: the northern region extends from Greater Sydney to the QLD border and west to Moree Plains; the southern/central region covers the rest of NSW.

North Eastern NSW

P: 1800 344 090


Home - Rural Financial Counselling Service (

Southern/Central Region

P: 1800 319 458

Office of the NSW Small Business Commissioner

Small Biz Connect is a quality, personalised and highly subsidised business advisory program for small businesses in NSW, including agribusinesses.

P: 1300 134 359

Australian Taxation Office

The ATO also offers assistance with meeting tax obligations for businesses impacted by floods.

Recovery following natural disasters | Australian Taxation Office (

Bank Support

Major financial institutions may offer flood relief for their customers.

Contact your bank

Animal welfare and management





Contact your local rescue group.

Local Land Services

On-going technical support including on-going livestock feeding advice.

P: 1300 795 299

Stock problems after a flood

Key information about looking after stock following a flood.

Drought and Supplementary Feed Calculator

Calculate and compare protein, energy and other components for different mixes of livestock feeds.

You can use the calculator online, or download the app 'Drought Feed Calculator’.

Integrity Systems

Assistance with emergency NVDs, LPA advice and NLIS transfers.

P: 1800 683 111

Dairy support

Contact Dairy NSW.

P: 1800 270 778

Oyster Compliance

Oyster lease compliance efforts in the event of a natural disaster will focus on lease marking and navigation safety.

If you have a work plan and cannot meet your deadlines, speak to your local Fisheries Officers.

Other Assistance




Disaster Response Legal Service NSW

Free legal assistance for NSW residents.

Legal Aid

P: 1800 801 529

Emergency Temporary Accommodation

Short term housing support.

Housing Contact Centre – Department of Communities & Justice

P: 1800 422 322


Insurance Council of Australia has a comprehensive website providing help in  disasters

Motor vehicle stamp duty relief

Financial assistance for eligible motorists whose cars have been written-off as a result of declared natural disasters.

Office for State Revenue

P: 1300 139 814

NSW Farmers Association

Updates on assistance available can be viewed on the NSW Farmers website. Contact Regional Services Managers with any issues or concerns.

P: 02 9478 1000

Road closures and travel advice

Up-to-date information on the latest road closures and real-time traffic conditions.

Health and wellbeing




Emergency mental health support Call 000

Hotlines / Helplines


P: 13 11 14

Beyond Blue

P: 1300 224 636

Mental health hotline (NSW Health 24/7)

P: 1800 011 511


P: 1300 789 978

Kids helpline

P: 1800 551 800

Rural Adversity Mental Health Program (RAMHP)

RAMHP provides a range of information services to individuals, communities and service providers to link rural and remote people to the help they need.

To find the location of your nearest RAMHP Officer call P: 02 6363 8444

Online resourcesHead to Health
An  Australian Government website that offers multiple ways of searching for digital mental health resources.
Beyond Blue
Podcasts about disasters, trauma and mental health

Charities and other support




GIVIT is the NSW Government lead charity in co-ordinating donated items

If you have been impacted by the floods and require donated goods or services, or wish to pledge donated goods, services or cash, please register.

To register for assistance or donate

Blaze Aid

Rebuild fences and other structures that have been damaged or destroyed.

P: 0418 990 267

The Salvation Army

Central NSW:

Captains Jon and Leah Belmonte:

0401 690 877

Western NSW:

Majors David and Robin Pullen:

0419 013 320

North NSW:

Majors Rusty and Di Lawson:

0417 797 785

Southern NSW

Majors Max and Karen Smith:

0428 650 915

P: 13 72 58

St Vincent de Paul

Assistance with food & groceries, clothing, blankets & essentials. Bill assistance, interest free loans for household items & referral to other crisis providers.

P: 13 18 12

Rural Aid

Rural Aid provides critical support including water, fodder (hay), financial and counselling assistance to help farmers (primary producers) who endure natural disasters.

P: 1300 327 624

Lions Need for Feed

Donated fodder available through Lions. Register through website. /

Drought Community Outreach programRotary provide $500 vouchers to farming households affected by drought.
Register at a local Drought Community Outreach program event.

Contact your local club or NRAA

Keep COVID Safe

We all have a part to play in keeping NSW COVID safe. We’re asking everyone to ensure they are familiar with COVID-19 restrictions, to follow COVID safe best practice and always remain vigilant.

This includes:

  • Stay home if you have any symptoms and get tested
  • Check-in when you visit a venue, business or shop
  • Stay 1.5 metres apart from others
  • Wash your hands frequently
  • Make sure your business has a COVID safe plan

The COVID-19 Home ( offers our producers a portal to information about COVID-19 and information relevant to our industry.

For further information on what to do in NSW, visit