With increasing demand for high quality seafood, aquaculture is a growing industry in NSW. The Aquaculture Management and Research sections of NSW Department of Primary Industries are responsible for working with aquaculture industries, the community and other agencies to ensure aquaculture develops in a sustainable manner.
We have conducted extensive research for farming species such as oysters, silver perch, and marine fish (snapper, mulloway and yellowtailed kingfish) and support the transfer of this technology to industry. Aquaculture development in NSW can provide employment and economic growth in rural NSW and support the future food security needs of the state.. [ more ]
NSW is developing an application for three commercial shellfish aquaculture leases and if approved, would tender them to shellfish growers
Three of NSW’s most successful aquaculture farmers are on show as part of a series of videos.
This report includes information on Oyster production, Industry value, Aquaculture farms & Aquaculture production
- Aquaculture Update is a biannual publication that reports industry information, including research results, policy directions, news and events.
Recent News Releases
- 22 Oct 2013Clearer picture at Jervis Bay [123.4 KB PDF]
- 10 Oct 2013Shellfish aquaculture plans released for comment [126.5 KB PDF]
- 09 Oct 2013The world is your oyster - strategy strengthens industry's future
- 11 Sep 2013Aquaculture course offers advice on world's fastest growing industry
- 24 Jul 2013NSW to host international oyster conference [74.6 KB PDF]
- 20 Jun 2013Port Stephens lease gets tick of approval [195.1 KB PDF]