The NSW Government’s Gaden Trout Hatchery, located on the Thredbo River, 10 km north-west of Jindabyne, is one of Australia’s main centres for breeding and rearing cold water sport fish. Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Brook Trout, and Atlantic Salmon are produced by NSW DPI and stocked into the dams and river systems of our trout fisheries in the snowy mountains, southern highlands, the central tablelands and New England areas.
Currently, operations are being funded by the Recreational Fishing Trusts. This has enabled the department’s fish stocking program to continue to provide many benefits and is recognised for its importance to the community in terms of quality recreational fishing, stock for the aquaculture industry, conservation activities, visitor education, employment opportunities and subsequent economic benefits in regional areas that have grown in response to the activity over many years.
To maintain a high quality facility to support a world class trout fishery, through a partnership between recreational fishers and the government.
To continue producing quality trout for recreational fishers. This will help to ensure that a pioneered recreation fishery facility is maintained for future generations.
The New South Wales Rod Fishers’ Society was involved in the construction of the first hatchery in the Snowy Mountains at the old Kosciusko Hotel on Diggers Creek in 1907. In 1924 that hatchery was dismantled and re-erected
near the site of The Creel guest house. This hatchery became a joint operation of the Society, the Fisheries Department and the NSW Tourist Bureau. It was closed in 1941 because of the war and later the equipment, along with that from the Caldwell Hatchery on the Maclaughlin River, was used to construct the Gaden Trout Hatchery on the Thredbo River at Jindabyne.
There was also a very early hatchery at Cooma, built around 1929 by local enthusiasts of the Cooma Fishermen’s Club. The hatchery equipment and building was moved to the Caldwell Hatchery on the Maclaughlin River in 1939 by members of the recently formed Monaro Acclimatisation Society and much of the same equipment was later used to build the Gaden Trout Hatchery on the Thredbo.
After the end of the War, the Monaro Acclimatisation Society reviewed the operation of the Caldwell Hatchery and realised that the water supply at the hatchery site was inadequate.
In May 1948 an inspection of a site on the Thredbo River at Paddys Corner owned by Mr Bill Napthali was carried out by representatives from Fisheries Branch, the Department of Public Works, the Monaro Acclimatisation Society and the Shire Council. Work commenced shortly afterwards - the old Creel Hatchery building was erected on site to provide temporary accommodation for the hatchery supervisor, Mr Reuben Payten, who started work with the assistance of volunteers from the Monaro Acclimatisation Society.
The Caldwell and Tumut Hatcheries ceased operations after the 1950 season and their buildings were dismantled and transported to the new Thredbo Hatchery and re-erected. Much of the equipment from the three older hatcheries was recycled.
The official opening occurred on 31 October 1953, although work was not complete. The new complex was named the Gaden Trout Hatchery after Mr Jim Gaden, one of the pioneers in trout acclimatisation in the area.
By 1956-57 Gaden Trout Hatchery as well as Burraga Hatchery and LP Dutton Hatchery at Ebor were completed but production of ova from brood fish was inadequate - some 500,000 being obtained which was supplemented by about 800,000 ova imported by the acclimatisation societies which were encountering some financial difficulties in meeting costs.
During 1957-58, discussions started between the acclimatisation societies and the NSW Government about management of the three main hatcheries being passed to the Fisheries Department. On 1 January 1959, on the recommendation of the Trout Advisory Council following a request from the three major acclimatisation societies, Gaden Trout Hatchery, LP Dutton Hatchery and Burraga Hatchery came under the control of the Fisheries Branch, Chief Secretary’s Department with supervisors being appointed to each hatchery. In 1960-61 Burraga Hatchery was closed and its equipment relocated to Gaden.
Over the past 50 years the Gaden Trout Hatchery has been run by a dedicated succession of managers and staff, supported by members of the acclimatisation societies and other fishing clubs. The facilities have been continually improved, indeed in the last couple of years approximately $240,000 of anglers’ fishing licence trust fund money has been poured into the facility to build a new hatching shed.
* Information provided by RFA, CFA & MAS letter to members.
Visitors can view and sometimes partake in feeding of the big fish that come to the surface in some of the hatchery’s brood stock ponds, watch a 10 minute introduction video that outlines the hatchery’s purpose and operations, and go for a walk around the grounds with one of the experienced hatchery staff.
Gaden Hatchery has over one hectare of parkland on the banks of the Thredbo River. Coin operated barbeques and picnic shelters are available. Fishing is not permitted at the hatchery.
Individuals, school and group visitors are all welcome.
We also have traditional wood smoked trout for sale which is grown, smoked and packed by Snowy Mountains Trout in Tumut.
Visitors’ Centre Open 10am - 4pm daily.
Guided tours daily at 10am and 2pm only.
Self Guided Tours available on selected days only - phone for availability.
Closed ANZAC Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
Visitors’ Centre opening times and tours are subject to change due to operational requirements.
|Admission fees||Cost per person ($AUD)|
|Child (Ages 4-14 years)||$7.00|
|Concession (Seniors/Pensioner card to be shown)||$7.00|
|Family (Based on 2 adults and 2 children)||$28.00|
|Self-guiding (Group tour rates available for 20 people or more; not available everyday)||$5.00|
* Bookings are essential
|Address||224 Gaden Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627|
|Phone||(02) 6451 3400|
|Fax||(02) 6456 2603|