Submission to ARAC for a research initiative
Download the submission to ARAC for a Research Initiative [PDF 68 KB] - giving permit holders an opportunity to convey ideas and advise of the issues that may be constraining the growth of your business.
The Aquaculture Research Advisory Committee (ARAC) was established in October 2006 and held its inaugural meeting on 31 January 2007.
ARAC is a statutory committee that advises the Minister on the amount of contributions payable by the NSW aquaculture industries into trust accounts for aquaculture research and development and the expenditure of those trust funds. The NSW prawn aquaculture industry is not included as it pays research levies directly to the Commonwealth.
Terms of Reference
- Investigate and evaluate the requirement for aquaculture research and development in NSW, after consultation with NSW Aquaculture Industries and with reference to NSW, Australian and overseas experience, and whether funded by the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation or otherwise;
- Revise as appropriate Research and Development Plans for NSW aquaculture research and development and promote it to the wider research community;
- Advise the appropriate NSW Fisheries Research Advisory bodies and the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation on NSW aquaculture research and development matters and priorities;
- Advise the NSW Minister for Primary Industries on the level of funding from industry required for aquaculture research and development in NSW and on its expenditure;
- Oversee the management of annual contributions for aquaculture research collected under Section 156 of the Fisheries Management Act 1994, and placed in separate trust accounts under Section 157 of the Fisheries Management Act 1994.
- Report on a regular basis, including an Annual Report based on a financial year, to the NSW Aquaculture industry, the NSW Minister for Primary Industries and NSW researchers on aquaculture research and development initiatives;
- Facilitate the dissemination, adoption and commercialisation of the results of aquaculture research and development; and
- Promote aquaculture research and development in NSW.
ARAC annual reports
Membership of ARAC as at December 2015
- Professor Ian White (Chairperson)
- Mr Matthew Wassnig (industry representative)
- Mr Tony Troup (industry representative)
- Ms Milada Safarik (industry representative)
- Ms Jessica Zealand (industry representative)
- Mrs Anne Loftus (industry representative)
- Mr Russell Sydenham (industry representative)
- Dr Wayne O'Connor (NSW Department of Primary Industries)
- Mr Ian Lyall (NSW Department of Primary Industries)
- Ms Jo Pickles (Executive Officer, NSW Department of Primary Industries)
All initial enquiries should be directed to the Executive Officer who can be contacted at the Port Stephens Fisheries Centre on (02) 4916 3901 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes from Committee meetings
All notes taken from The Aquaculture Research Advisory Committee meetings are published and available online.
31 August 2017 (Sydney).
Summary of discussions
Summary of Discussions [PDF 31kB] from the Aquaculture Research Advisory Committee (ARAC) meeting held on 4 May 2017.