Restricted Guide licence

Apply or renew your licence

You can apply for a new game hunting licence or renew an existing licence using our online licensing services. You can read more about applying or renewing online or use the links below to get started.

If you want to apply for a licence type that is Restricted, it is important to read about how to become accredited and qualify for the licence before you apply.

A technical issue is currently preventing applicants using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, Mac) from attaching supporting documents to an application. You can still lodge an online application using a non-iOS device or computer.

Apply Renew

A hunting guide is a person who accompanies other persons on a hunt for game or feral animals in return for a fee or reward.

If you want to guide others in their pursuit of game and feral animals on public land in NSW, you need to apply for a Restricted guide licence (R-guide).

The R-guide licence confers the authority of a standard R-licence. You do not need to purchase both licences.

If you are paying by credit card, use the links above to apply or renew online. If you are paying by cheque or money order, use the application forms below.

NSW Restricted (Guide) Game Hunting Licence - application/renewal form (PDF, 96.1 KB)

NSW Game Hunting Licence - licence replacement form (PDF, 104.4 KB)


There are three requirements that must be met before you can apply for the R-guide licence. Applicants must:

Approved Professional Hunting Organisations

Before qualifying for an R-guide licence, you must become a member of an Approved Professional Hunting Organisation (APHO). You must also maintain your membership for your R-guide licence to remain valid. The following are the two registered APHOs in NSW:

Adventure & Safari Industry Association Inc (ASIA)

Contact John Pond
Mobile 0439 557 450 

Professional Safari Hunter's Association of Australia Inc (PSHAA)

Contact Mark Daddow
Mobile 0447 148 935

You will be asked to provide proof of your membership when you send in your application paperwork.

Special conditions

R-guide licence holders must:

  • maintain a current membership with an APHO
  • hold a current Firearms Licence and carry a firearm on all guided hunts for the purposes of animal welfare
  • ensure that relevant sections of the Game and Feral Animal Control Act 2002 and its associated Regulation of 2012 are understood before undertaking any hunting or guiding under licence. This includes adhering to a strict Code of Practice and abiding by related legislation
  • ensure that all clients comply with the relevant legislation and hold a current NSW Restricted game hunting licence (R-licence) when hunting on public land, or a current NSW General game hunting licence (G-licence) when hunting deer and other game animals on private land
  • keep a log book recording your hunting guide activities. This will help distinguish between general hunting and guided hunting for the purposes of enforcement and public liability insurance.

Guiding on declared public hunting land

R-guide hunters are responsible for the following:

  • All hunters being guided on public land must be licensed. Australian residents must hold a NSW R-licence and international residents must hold a NSW Visitor's licence.
  • Both the hunter and the guide must be accredited in the R-licence category/ies for the type of hunting occurring.
  • Both the hunter and the guide must apply for, and carry at all times, written permission to hunt.

In fairness to other R-licence holders, all bookings for public land are made on a first-in-first-served basis.

Permits from the Firearms Registry

Persons wanting to guide others in their pursuit of game and feral animals in NSW must also obtain a Safari Tour Permit from the NSW Police Force Firearms Registry.

Overseas hunters must first obtain a permit from the NSW Police Force Firearms Registry authorising their possession and use of a firearm in NSW. They may also require a NSW Visitors game hunting licence.


Once you have become a member of an APHO and completed the accreditation requirements you need to apply to the NSW Department of Primary Industries. Use the links at the top of the page to either apply online or submit an application form.

Your application must contain:

  • a completed and signed R-guide application form (PDF, 96.1 KB)
  • a hunter accreditation form (given to you by your facilitator)
  • proof of your membership with an APHO
  • payment - credit card, cheque or money order.

Applications not containing all the required information will be returned to the applicant.


Licence term Full rate Concession rate
1 year $175 $117
2 years $340 $227
3 years $500 $335
4 years $645 $430
5 years $850 $567

The concession rate is only available to pensioners holding an eligible pension card. Minor hunters are not eligible to hold a guide licence.


Game hunting licences being used for guiding others do not include public liability insurance cover. Any insurance is the responsibility of the licence holder.

If you are using your licence for the purposes of private (non-guiding) hunting, your licence includes $20 million public liability cover.