Beekeeping on public land

To keep bee hives (an Apiary) on public land in NSW you must hold a permit or license to do so from the government agency that manages the land.

In line with the new policy framework for apiary sites on public land, we are now standardising how permits are issued across all agencies.

Recently vacated available sites are now being allocated via an Expressions of Interest process and will be published on the EOI Process page of this website.

Sites that haven't been used for at least 2 years and in some cases have never been used ("Long Term Vacant" sites) are allocated on a First Come, First Served basis if identified by apiarists.A pilot of an online process to publish potentially available sites started in mid-July 2019. Read more about the Long Term Vacant Apiary Sites Online Pilot.

To receive notifications about the publishing of EOI and Long Term Vacant sites please send an email to

Apiary Site Pricing

Standardised pricing is now in place for permits or licenses for apiary sites on public land. After the initial fee payable on application for a site, fees are payable annually in accordance with each agencies schedule:

  • LLS fees are due in June for the July to June year,
  • Forestry Corporation fees are due in September for the October to September year, and
  • NPWS fees are due in December for the January to December year.

The site fee is updated annually in accordance with Consumer Price Index figures from the ABS. As of the latest update on the 21st of August 2019 the permit pricing is $181.36 + GST = $199.50 inc GST. From 21st August 2020 the pricing will be $180.82 + GST = $198.90 inc GST.

As part of the NSW Government Drought Assistance Package the government has announced plans to waive annual fees for existing public bee site permits. Visit Drought Hub for more information.

For enquiries about existing permits please contact the respective agencies with the details below.


If you want to seek permission to keep bees on public land, you can contact the main public agencies listed below.

Forestry Corporation of NSW

Forestry Corporation NSW manage the majority of public forestry areas that are not in National Parks or Reserves. Current information about Apiary permits is on the Forestry Corporation Permits page. All available potential sites are currently published on the Long Term Vacant Apiary Sites Pilot webpage.

For East Coast Forests contact Kim Drysdale, Public Information Officer
Phone: 02 6585 3744

For Western NSW Forests contact Kirrily Cain, Administrative Assistant
Phone: 0439 092 177

Local Land Services

The Local Land Services (LLS) manage travelling stock routes (TSR’s) and other crown land which may be suitable for beekeeping sites. Selected sites in the Central West, North West and South East are currently available to apply for via the Long Term Vacant online pilot. For enquiries about sites in other regions please contact the LLS region applicable as listed below. Contact your local LLS regional office for your apiary contact.

Table 1: Local Land Services regional offices




Phone Number


Central Tablelands

Mary Roberson

Customer Service Administrative Officer

02 6392 3000

Central West

Chris Robinson

TSR Administration

02 6841 6521

Greater Sydney


No permits being issued currently.




Peter Fotheringham

TSR & Emergency Management SLSO

0409 034 557


Judy Gillett

Customer Service Officer

03 5886 1203

North Coast

Gabrielle Blackwell


02 6623 3911

North West

Emma Budge

Customer Service Officer

02 6790 7600

Northern Tablelands

Jess O'Brien

Customer Service Officer

02 6720 8300


Hayley Johns-Woodland

Customer Service Officer

02 6923 6300

South East

Bonty Burhop

Customer & Admin officer

02 6118 7700


Kerryn Hart

Senior Land Services Officer TSR

03 5021 9401

NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service

The creation of new apiary sites in NPWS parks and reserves is not permitted under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 unless it can clearly and demonstrably benefit the conservation of nature in the park.

Please review the NPWS beekeeping policy or refer NPWS apiary enquiries to

Crown Lands

Beekeeping on other Crown Lands may be permitted on suitable sites if approval is granted by the land manager and a permit is issued under the Forestry Act.  To enquire about a particular crown land location please follow the process outlined on the Beekeeping on Crown Lands in NSW page.