A review of recreational saltwater and freshwater fishing rules is underway and community feedback is sought on options for changes to the current rules.
Update - final outcomes of consultation on boating practices and seagrass protection at North (Sydney) Harbour
The strategic plan identifies outcomes, strategies and key measures of success for Fisheries NSW over the next few years.
Read the new fishing arrangements that have been implemented in NSW for dogfish
This short film discusses how boaters and fishers can help keep our waterways healthy.
NSW Government observation towers grant program. Applications for funding are sought!
When you're fishing in NSW waters you're required by law to pay the NSW Recreational Fishing Licence Fee
The Governmentís response to the recommendations of the Independent Review of Commercial Fisheries Policy, Management and Administration is now available
Shark ecol≠o≠gist, Vic Ped≠de≠mors, explains that through failed under≠stand≠ing of shark behav≠ior and the use of prac≠tices that are unsus≠tain≠able, the apex preda≠tor in a frag≠ile ecosys≠tem is now at risk.
View the outcomes and new rules arising from the review of Grey nurse shark protection.
Applications for funding from the Australian Governmentís Clean Energy Future Biodiversity Fund are invited.
Read important information to help you comply with the law
The NSW Government has placed restrictions on imports of live abalone from Tasmania and Victoria to minimise the risk of AVG impacting wild abalone stocks in NSW.
FAQ factsheet outlining the average number of fish kills that occur a year, the causes, species affected, and visual observations that can be made in the field to assist in identifying and reporting a fish kill
Information on the NSW seafood industry including wild harvest and aquaculture sectors.
The report detailing the status of fisheries resources in NSW has been released (Feb 2011). Detailed information on 108 species is available.
Recreational fishing dietary advice and commercial fishing closure in Sydney Harbour (Port Jackson)
- Fish friendly marinas
- Hunter River fish kill - March 2013
- New advisory material on Coastal Saltmarsh - a key fish habitat protected in NSW
- NSW Pacific oyster survey 2010
- Rebuilding strategy for gulper shark stocks
- Pacific Oyster Mortality Syndrome (POMS)
- Ornamental fish update - important information
- Permits for research, aquarium collecting and activities other than aquaculture
- NSW Shark Meshing (Bather Protection) Program
- Fishing Safety Advice
- Angel Rings program
- SafeWaters information (www.safewaters.nsw.gov.au)
- Safe boating with NSW Maritime Authority (www.maritime.nsw.gov.au)
For general fishing information, call the Fisheries Information Line on 1300 550 474.
- 22 May 2013Fishers warned about yabby abnormalities
- 21 May 2013Fishers set for illegal fishing fines
- 21 May 2013Property owners warned against illegal lake works
- 15 May 2013Port Stephens marine icon celebrates 30 year anniversary
- 15 May 2013Fishing gets the green light in Wallagoot Lake
- 13 May 2013Habitat Restoration Project Receives Prestigious Award